Wednesday, December 31, 2008

All The Lonely People

So I know there are at least two people who are reading this countdown. And both of them have musical tastes I respect. This list will let them both down. They will both want a list full of quirky indie picks - but I'll tell you right now this list has no TV on the Radio, no Arcade Fire, no Fleet Foxes, no Sigur Ros. In fact, this list will only a small handful of CDs in the years since I lived with those two guys back in '97. Why? Its not that I dont like those bands (although for the most part, I dont), it is that I simply dont listen to as much music as I used to. I bought one CD this year (Death Cab For Cutie) - back in the day, I was buying 20 a year, and listening to a lot more. So the list is dominated by 1988 - 1997, the years between high school and getting a job, with some old classics that still hold up thrown in.

And Trevor, deep in your heart, I know you would rather hear Back in Black than Joanna Newsom. It's just gotta be true.

With that, I'll make a boring choice at #46 - Revolver: The Beatles. It's my favorite Beatles album - does anyone else out there think Sgt. Pepper is overrated?.

5 comments:

Trevor said...

It's ironic that you chose "Revolver" for this one, because I feel like I've been shot in the gut. Sgt. Pepper's overrated??? That's heresy! Burn 'im, 'e's a witch!
And you *cannot* call Fleet Foxes quirky! That's like calling Jackson Pollock drippy. They have come up with something completely (or as completely as it gets in modern music) new and original and inspiring ... and they're all, like, 22 years old!
Hey CTV, I'm waiting for the child-inspired picks to make their way onto your list. I won't count "Charlie Brown Christmas," b/c I think adults get it even more than kids do. But are we going to see any Raffi? Or have we graduated to HM/HSM3 level yet? And what of the timeless Peter Paul & Mary: what do we think of them?

CTV said...

I've already got Trevor riled up and I'm not even 10% thru! I promise to give Fleet Foxes a chance - I've only heard the one song (Hymnal?) and it is good enough. But please spare me the Bon Iver. Boooooring.

As for my kids' music...I've steered them away from Raffi and more towards alternalite stuff like Cake and Barenaked Ladies. But I must admit HSM gets a lot of play in our house :)

Trevor said...

I'm not even 10% riled up, CTV! Just try plugging something by Goo Goo Dolls into your #1 slot - THEN you'll see me riled up. (Nothing against them - I'm glad you took me to see them on my birthday way back when - but we both know they don't belong up there, even if you followed them back in your Buffalo days before anyone else did ...)
I'll send you a burner with Fleet Foxes on it. Good kids' music, too!

Brian said...

I gotta agree with Chris- "Revolver" is the best Beatles album. Or at least the most consistent. I love "Sgt Pepper", but "When I'm 64" almost ruins it for me. Sweet Jesus, that song is awful.
Now what about side 2 of "Abbey Road"? Is that not the creative pinnacle of their career? C'mon dudes, you know it is.
Fleet Foxes are great; their album is a real grower. Check 'em out, CTV.

Nic said...

Yep - Revolver - no doubt about it (though Brian makes a great point about side B of Abbey Road). I must admit though, the fact that this is your favorite Beatles album, and that it's all the way down at #46, leaves me a bit dubious of this whole list... I guess we'll see...