Monday, February 9, 2009

A Humiliating Kick In the Crotch

#37 Synchronicity: The Police. The Police are a great band, although I find their albums to be inconsistent, filled with brilliant songs side by side with pointless throwaway tunes. This one I think is their best, although it is debatable. The tunes Synchronicity I and II are both classics as are the Side 2 countdown-slaying troika of Every Breath You Take/King Of Pain/Wrapped Around Your Finger.
Once, I was talking to someone about the Police, and he said, next time you listen, just focus on the drums, because Stuart Copeland is freaking great. So I did. I had never really noticed them before, but he never plays a bar the same way twice - always throwing in some crazy off beat stuff and improvising throughout the song. It's really cool. I dont remember who the guy was but I've never listened to the Police the same way again.

3 comments:

Brian said...

I agree that their albums are inconsistent- they're more of a singles band to me. If I were you, I would've chosen one of their greatest hits albums instead of this one. Which begs the question: why don't you ever see greatest hits albums included in Top 50 (or whatever) lists?

Anonymous said...

I also can't believe that this is your favorite Police record. It's good, don't get me wrong, I listened to it nonstop in 1983 or whenever it came out. But I really like their more reggae/ska stuff. Ghost in the Machine is my absolute favorite; every song on there is great. Same with Zenyatta Mendatta.

I have Synchronicity on my ipod but the only songs I really listen to on there anymore are Miss. Gradenko and Walking in Your Footsteps. The rest were too commercial and overplayed for me and Synchronicity 1 and 2 are too chaotic now in my old age.

Kathleen said...

I would have to include this as one of my top 50, if I had a top 50, because this album introduced me to The Police. I no longer listen to it; like Jackie, I prefer Ghost in The Machine and Zenyatta Mendatta. I think including a greatest hits album is considered cheating, although most of my faves are greatest hits.