Sunday, February 15, 2009

You Glorify the Past When the Future Dries Up

#38 Rattle and Hum: U2. I know, this is not a very exciting entry, and typically not thought to be be even U2's best work, coming between the uberplatinum Joshua Tree and the more experimental and self-indulgent Achtung Baby. And I could do without the tour film. But it is the one that hit me hardest - I really liked their attempt to connect to vintage blues, I liked the live versions of older songs, and All I Want Is You is a haunting classic. This was one of the first CDs I bought (forsaking years of collecting vinyl) after buying my first CD player in 1988.

4 comments:

Brian said...

I think Achtung Baby is way better than Rattle and Hum, and I don't consider it experimental or self-indulgent. My definition of self-indulgence is four Irish dudes pretending to be black American bluesmen.

CTV said...

good point. can't argue with that.

Trevor said...

How about when that part in the movie where Larry Mullen Jr hops on Elvis' motorcycle at Graceland? I almost headed down to Memphis to rough him up when I saw that. I think Elvis would have wanted it that way ...

Anonymous said...

Dude, this is your favorite u2 record! Wow. It's good but Joshua Tree is so much better and it's what the whole thing is based on. Achtung Baby really isn't experimental at all especially when you hear the two records they made it after it (I don't even remember what they are called but they are the only two u2 records I don't own and don't want to). And I am over them as a band because they are so self-important (but their music still is good, can't argue with that).