Saturday, April 18, 2009

How Come You Taste So Good?

#25 Sticky Fingers: Rolling Stones. This is not the RS CD that usually shows up as the best on critics lists. Jackie likes Let It Bleed, and she has a point. Exile on Main Street is the usual choice, but I dont have patience for double albums. Anyway, these are all great picks, but Sticky Fingers is my choice. Think about Stones vs. Beatles. The Beatles were more culturally significant, and obviously they are both all-time greats, but I'm starting to think the Stones were just better. The Beatles have a lot of annoying songs. Mean Mr. Mustard. Lovely Rita. Polythene Pam. WTF? The Stones have very few of these moments (and yes I am ignoring the last 30 years (!)). Sticky Fingers is a great example of a CD with start to finish excellence.

By the way, I once heard a radio guy who gave a cool list of "Songs that are undeniably recognizable by their first one or two notes". The first two songs on his list were both Stones songs "Brown Sugar" and "Satisfaction". He also had Elton's Bennie and the Jets. I forget the rest. Can you think of any other good ones?

And how many album covers feature an uncomfortably tight crotch shot and a working zipper? Just learned from Wikipedia that according to VH1 this qualifies it for the best album cover of all time.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I am in agreement with you once again, CTV. Sticky Fingers is my favorite Stones album, and "Sway" is one of their most underappreciated songs. I think this album was released between Let It Bleed and Exile On Main St; that was a great era for them.

Jackie said...

Proud to be mentioned in your blog but am embarrassed that I never listened to this album from start to finish...Will have to asap.