Monday, April 27, 2009

Hunting the Horny Back Toad

#22 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road: Elton John. Earlier on I dissed double albums and claimed I didnt have the patience for them. That's true, but this one falls through the cracks because my first copy of it was on CD, and it fits on one CD! So there! I have a friend who is also blogging his favorites, and we are in surprise agreement on some things. We even both had this one at #22! So we must be right. Anyway, lots of classic rock CDs dont hold up to the passing of time. I have found, somewhat surprisingly, that Elton John does. His first eponymous CD (which for some reason is always playing in my favorite sushi restaurant) is an underrated low-fi gem. This one, I think, is his best. Just a great straight-forward rock record, with great piano playing, epic songs, and a brilliant close (Harmony). A few throwaway tunes, but worth revisiting.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Wow, both you and Trevor have this one pretty high up on your lists. And I must admit that I've never heard it. I don't know why, but I've tried to avoid listening to Elton John for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's the crazy glasses, I don't know. It's a totally irrational fear. But perhaps I should check this album out...