Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Thoughts from the supermarket

whats the first thing to do when getting to a foreign country? The supermarket of course. It's always a blast to see all the different stuff. We took a leisurely Day 1 in NZ to check out the neighborhood (great coffee shop within spitting distance), and I went to check out the market. Notes:

- surprised at how the fruits and veggies (or veges as they say here) were not really different at all from back home. disappointing.
- loved the yogurt selection. found some with the infamous manuka honey. yum!
- biggest problem: bumping into people. I didnt realize that when people drive on the left side of the road, they also walk on the left side of the aisle. I didnt realize in it, but when I turn right around a corner in the market, I take a tight turn, while when I take a left, I take it wide - just like when driving. So, 3 times I'd take a tight right and bump into some kiwi taking a tight left. Ouch!

I also enjoyed a phone conversation today when the other party signed off "Righty-o!". I like this place. Tune in tomorrow for cute pix of kids....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh--I should have warned you about the left turn habit--that was the hardest thing to overcome. If you haven't heard about them already, BEWARE THE TRAFFIC CAMERAS! The buggers are everywhere (Seattle is following suit).